At the historic Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, we feel it is our responsibility to be stewards of this beautiful, natural environment we call home. It is our goal to minimize the carbon footprint of our operations and introduce programs that emphasize sustainability. Environmental responsibility is recognized as a key priority for our organization.
This environmental policy covers our resort operations here in Shawnee on Delaware, Pennsylvania at the foothills of the Pocono Mountains, and highlights the sustainability practices we are pursuing within our operations.
As a major resort in the Pocono Mountains, we feel that we have an obligation to contribute to a proactive and sustainable commitment to the environment. The historic Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort is committed to reducing direct environmental impacts through (but not limited to) the following practices.
- Shawnee Island Farm™ – We developed a 25,000 square foot farm to supply fresh produce to our restaurants and kitchen. Daily tours available for our guests May through October.
- Herb gardens for The Gem and Keystone Brewpub™ and the River Room
- The Shawnee Apiary – Apiary for production of our own honey and to assist in the pollination.
- Spring Maple tree tapping for production of our own Maple syrup.
- Resort recycling includes cans, paper, cardboard, glass, and plastic. We encourage staff members and guests to recycle.
- All staff members are asked to embrace this commitment to environmental stewardship through our staff “green pledge.” Making a conscious effort to recycle, turn off lights when leaving offices, storage areas or event spaces, keep air conditioning to a minimum as well as heat to conserve energy.
- Car-pooling is encouraged.
- Energy efficient light globes and LED lights are used when possible throughout hotel public areas and the back of the house.
- All windows are double-glazed.
- Staff and guests are advised to switch off lights and air-conditioning when not in use.
- It is encouraged that staff members bring containers from home for coffee, tea, and water.
- Spring water coolers have replaced bottled water throughout several
- We use Eco Guard, a natural bacillus bacterium, which attacks fungus without the use of chemicals.
- Every spring, we partner with the National Park Service and with locals and staff volunteers for the annual Delaware River Clean-up. We provide complimentary rentals of canoes, paddles, and life jackets to help keep the Delaware River clean and pristine.
- Research and development efforts being expended to assess our ability to implement a plan for the installation of geothermal or solar panels for resort-wide energy use.
- Our mowers place clippings back into the ground helping to facilitate the growing process.
- We continue to maintain naturalized areas for birds and other wildlife on our golf course, as well as, using the Rain Bird System for irrigation.
- We conduct most of our irrigation during the dew period so that water is most efficiently absorbed. This practice reduces the need for pesticides and helps to prevent disease.
- In cooperation with the Audubon International, we have established protected bird sanctuaries on our golf course island. These areas are being naturalized with wildflowers, grasses, no mowing, no spraying, and nest boxes.
- Signage is placed in our guest rooms to encourage re-use of towels and other linens to save water and reduce the use of laundry detergents.
- We have installed new windows throughout the resort to improve energy use and lessen our carbon footprint.
- We utilize a Clean the World Soap Drive, a recycling program to help donate discarded hygiene products to impoverished people, helping to prevent millions of deaths caused by hygiene-related illnesses every day.
- Low flush toilets were installed to lessen our water usage.
- Automated in-room heating and cooling system are set to 24-hour activity mode –meaning that there has to be a movement to activate.
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort review its environmental practices annually. We actively seek suggestions and opportunities to assist our customers to meet their long and short-term Environmental goals.