Thursday, April 30, 2009 (Shawnee on Delaware, Pennsylvania) — The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort has sponsored a team of employees to participate in the Run for the Red Pocono Marathon on May 17th, 2009.
To coincide with “Shawnee’s Year of Wellness” a team of 16 employees are signed up for the Run for the Red races. This race was recently featured in Runners World Magazine, as the 9th race in the country, to have the highest number of participants to qualify for the Boston Marathon. Though the “Shawnee Team” is not trying to qualify for any particular marathon — their goal is to have fun and to finish. They are looking forward to help raise money for the American Red Cross of Monroe County Pennsylvania.
Here is who is sponsoring them:
The Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort is sponsoring all of the employees’ registration fees. The Crossings Premium Outlets arranged the donation of the teams running tops. Special thanks to Doug Smith, Manager of The Crossings. The Riddell factory will be donating the screen printing. Special thanks to Dominic Violi. The marathon runners have been following an 18-week “novice” guide that they found online suggested by elite runner Hal Higdon. Hal ran eight times in the Olympic Trials and won four world masters championships. The marathoners have also partnered up with the Aardvark running store in Stroudsburg and their running team which is composed of more local runners that are also in training for the Run for the Red.
The Shawnee Team is comprised of the following members:
- Bailey Baldwin, Recreation Staff
- Jennifer Borden, Lifeguard
- Jonathon Duffy, Recreation Staff
- Russ Gladd, Facilities Director
- Emmanuel Green, River Room Staff
- Rob Howell, General Manager
- Pete Kirkwood, Environmental Attorney
- Liz Kirkwood, Environmental Attorney
- Nicole Norris, Recreation Staff
- Nancy Spencer, Accounts Receivable
- Molly Burnside, Corporate Sales Manager
- Rachelle Heil, Golf Sales Manager
- Carolyn Kisling, Reservations Staff
- Jason Startari, Business Development
- Jennifer Fuller, Human Resources Director
- Monica Startari, Marketing Director
- Igor Voloshin, Spa Therapist
Keep an eye on Emmanuel Green who is an East Stroudsburg High School South student who will be attending East Stroudsburg University in the fall. Emmanuel will be running for ESU’s track team and has run a 5K in the past in just over 18 minutes.
Shawnee’s “Year of Wellness” was initiated January 1, 2009 and encourages employees to actively lead healthy lifestyles. Some of the programs that were initiated through the Year of Wellness include: employee exercise classes, discounted memberships to elevations health club, smoking cessation program, and monthly seminars.
The Shawnee Team is planning to take some photos in full running gear at The Crossings Premium Outlets, and at The Shawnee Inn the week prior to the race. May 17th, race day, is just around the corner and the team is looking forward to this special day.